Monday, March 21, 2011

I had a lover's quarrel with the world

"What is that in the distance?", Jon asked after a sunny three hour drive of nothing exciting to write about.

"It looks like an obelisk" I responded.

"What's the point of it?" Jon thought outloud.

"Well, back in ancient Egypt, it had some sort of...", I began to explain, but Jon cut me off.

"No, why is it in the middle of Vermont?", Jon inquired.  Feeling stupid, I just responded, "Oh, I don't know"  I proceeded to get our Lonely Planet USA book out from our back seat.  I knew that this book would come in handy.

As it turns out, we were headed into Bennington, Vermont, a very beautiful Vermont town with lots of history.  This obelisk, in the middle of rolling hills and farmland turned out to be a battle monument.  For only $2, you can ride an elevator to the top to get 360 degree views of the beautiful landscape.  Unfortunate for us, they close it down until April.

On a positive note, the Lonely Planet USA book alerted me to the fact that we were only minutes away from the gravestone and resting place of famous poet, Robert Lee Frost!  We turned our car around and parked in front of the Old First Church and went for a walk in a very ancient graveyard.  All around us were gravestones dating back as old as the late 1700s!  Sure enough, we came across Robert Frost's gravestone stating, "I had a lover's quarrel with the world".

It was a beautiful, spring day that resulted in unexpected history of southern Vermont.

No comments:

Post a Comment